The next regular meeting of the South-Western City School District
Board of Education will be held on Monday, March 27, 2023 at 7:00 p.m.
The meeting will be held in-person at the District Service Center and is open to the public.
Role of the Board of Education
The board’s primary function is that of policy-making. A board should have clear and concise policies to do the job it was elected to do. After policies have been adopted, administrative procedures are established. The board then depends upon its superintendent to implement these policies, goals and objectives.
The superintendent is the chief executive officer for the board and school district, while the board of education is the legislative body of the school district.
Evaluation is another primary responsibility of the board of education. The board evaluates the superintendent and treasurer on a regular basis.
Board members are not administrators; they are not educational professionals; they are not evaluators of staff other than the superintendent and treasurer. Board members are not to be involved in employment interviews other than those of the superintendent and treasurer.
Board of Education Meeting Dates:
For more information, please click HERE
(Posted next day)
South-Western City School District Board of Education Members:
- Make rules and regulations necessary for the government of the school district, its employees, the students, and all persons entering on school grounds or premises
- Make sure students are provided with educational opportunities
- Appoint and evaluate a superintendent of schools and invest such powers in him/her as may be legally delegated
- Appoint and evaluate a treasurer
- Act on personnel and policies recommended by the superintendent
- See that the annual budget is prepared and acted on
- Pass an annual appropriations measure
- Adopt a master calendar annually
- Enter into contracts with all personnel in the manner required by Ohio laws
- Levy taxes with a vote of the people to maintain schools
About the Board Meeting
Residents of the South-Western City Schools community are encouraged to attend Board of Education meetings. Regular meetings are held the second Monday of each month, at 7:00 p.m., in the Board Room of the District Service Center, 3805 Marlane Drive in Grove City.
Ohio's Sunshine Law mandates that school board meetings be open to the public with an exception of executive sessions. In an executive session, the Board may discuss, but not vote on:
- The appointment, employment, dismissal, discipline, promotion, demotion or compensation of an employee or official, or the investigation of charges against an employee or official, or regulated individual requests a public hearing;
- The purchase of property for public purposes or the sale of property at competitive bidding;
- Disputes which are the subject of pending or imminent court action in conference with an attorney;
- Preparing for, conducting or reviewing negotiations or bargaining sessions with employees;
- Matters required to be kept confidential by federal or state statutes;
- Specialized details of security arrangements or emergency response.
In addition to its regular meeting schedule, the Board convenes the fourth Monday of each month for a work/study session. While the public is always welcome to attend, there is no time scheduled for public participation during these sessions.The Agenda
At the Board meeting, residents can follow discussions with a meeting agenda. Board members receive a full agenda several days before the regular meeting. The Friday before the monthly meeting, agendas are delivered to all the district's public libraries and the local media. Every attempt is made to post agendas on the district's Web site no later than midnight on the Thursday prior to the Monday meeting. Click here
to see the upcoming and past agendas.
Public Participation at Board meetings will be held at the first regular meeting of each month.
Members of the public wishing to address the Board concerning agenda items must sign the speaker form before the meeting begins. Members of the public wishing to address the Board concerning non-agenda items shall register their intention with the Superintendent's Office at (614) 801-3000 no later than 12 noon the day of the first regular monthly meeting
. Every attempt will be made to post meeting agendas on the district Website no later than midnight on the Thursday prior to the board meeting. Community members may contact the district prior to this time if they have a question regarding an item being on the agenda.
The South-Western City School District welcomes your comments and questions during the time set aside in the meeting for public comment. If you have questions about the procedure, please call the District Service Center at (614) 801-3000 before the meeting.